Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One year to flower attempt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • One year to flower attempt

    Thought I would start this now. Won't be much to show for awhile, but at least I can keep track on how long it takes before a leaf starts to grow. I don't think I will make my one year time goal, but it will be close enough. These seedlings will be planted outside in September. If they do flower it won't be until April/May so that would be past the one year goal.

    I'm not sure when the one year time should start. Myself I think it should start at the first leaf. My thoughts on this is because, Hellebore seeds here start to germinate in October, yet you won't see anything until spring. So would one say come spring I have an 7 or 8 month old plant, with just a tiny leaf showing?

    My goal is to get these seedlings as big as possible by September and see what happens.
    1 year to flower attempt 12 23 2013.jpg

    These seedlings should be from this cross.
    ETH 4 19 2013.jpg
    X
    Aglaia 4 16 2013.jpg
    Last edited by Guff; 12-24-2013, 01:42 PM.

  • #2
    Keep us updated, Guff! I tried to saw inside the house last year, but nothing came of it!

    Comment


    • #3
      I am not so succesfull with seeds.

      Comment


      • #4
        What is ones thoughts on the above cross? I know nothing about how they combine. Should the seedlings still have a white base color?

        Comment


        • #5
          I expect that the leaves of the first way will be strongest en perhaps get some waves. The white will win and the red spots on the leaves will loose a little , The stamens will also loose a little

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm hoping for white base flowers with the darker edge and veining of Aglaia. The extra petals of the first flower would be great also. I also thought maybe the spots would be lighter in color, or maybe less. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

            Comment


            • #7
              Those crosses should be just spectacular!

              Comment


              • #8
                You can expect a range of colours from this cross but most should have a white base wiht a spotted or picotee edge.
                Aglaia arose from a cross of MBR with a purple double so the gene pool behind this one alone can throw many surprises. There is a long held belief that spotting is a dominant feature but from my experience the intensity and distribution of the spots can also vary enormously.
                Certainly a worthwhile cross and I look forward to seeing the outcome

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks for the info Jeff.

                  I'm going to try worm compost teas with these seedlings. I tried worm compost teas this summer for the first time on my Daylily seedlings and they took off.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    When available I have used diluted worm extract from a worm farm to fertilise young plants when in active growth, almost impossible to over do and there is little chance of fertilser burn. The extract is high in N which is great for leaf growth but you may need to supplement with an alternative P&K fertiliser to promote flowering.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Update. I'm always worried about the hard coating on the seeds. Not having a dark cycle may have something to do with it.
                      1 year to flower attempt A 1 12 2014.jpg

                      1 year to flower attempt B 1 12 2014.jpg

                      1 year to flower attempt C 1 12 2014.jpg

                      1 year to flower attempt D 1 12 2014.jpg
                      Last edited by Guff; 01-12-2014, 11:46 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        At some point if they don't split and fall off can't you gently get them off by taking a very small knife or scissor to get a small cut started? Alternately could you put a small piece of wet cotton around it for a few hours to soften it and then get it off?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          As long as they get to the point like the first picture they will be ok. I did try a dark cycle before in the past and a dark cycle did help. They seemed to stretched more with the dark cycle. I have daylilies growing under the same lights, so I haven't bothered doing a dark cycle.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have tried doing what you said Terry, but it's difficult to cut through the hard seed coat, while trying to hold the seed without breaking it off. I will try the cotton and let you know how it works.

                            Maybe with the wet cotton, cutting through won't be so difficult. I will try it.

                            I do spray the seed coat with water twice a day, but doesn't seem to help any.
                            Last edited by Guff; 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Latest PM cannot be sent due to space at your end.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X